Lady Rams Look to Mix Experience, Young Talent in Upcoming Season

Senior+Brielle+Smith+averaged+six+points+and+six+rebounds+last+season.+

Senior Brielle Smith averaged six points and six rebounds last season.

Photo by Autumn Aspedon

Photo by Autumn Aspedon

Photo by Autumn Aspedon

Erin Stanley, Contributor

The girls’ basketball team begins their journey this week. Last season’s record was 8-15 for the Lady Rams, and the girls are looking to improve to a winning season.

“I think this season will be better than last year because the team has more experience and we have a good group of freshman that add to the program,” said senior Brielle Smith.

Besides gaining a new group of freshman, the Lady Rams have a new head coach, Brian Rasmusson.

“Getting a new coach kind of requires a restart at the drawing board,” said Smith. “I think it will be good to have a different voice to guide us, and everyone has to prove themselves.”

Coach Rasmusson is entering as the new head coach with his own set of goals for this season.

“Our goals for this season are pretty simple,” said Rasmusson. “We want to out work each and every one of our opponents and bring a level of toughness and competitiveness that gives up a chance to win every night.”

The girls have been working hard during the summer and throughout the fall.

“The new coach knows what he is doing, he is very strict and tells you the truth,” said sophomore Elle Scarborough. “We have been having three hour practices to prepare us for this season.”

The Lady Rams continued their preparation for this season with the Black and Gold and Treynor scrimmages this past weekend.

Some of the key games this year will be against Lewis Central and Red Oak. The girls are hoping to defeat those challenging opponents and continue on the road to the state tournament this season.

“One of our goals this season is to get to the free throw line more by being aggressive, communication and rebounding,” said senior Brooklyn Taylor, “I think that that will really help us beat those tough teams.”

Their first game will be held in Glenwood with the freshman starting at 4:30, JV at 6:00 and Varsity at 7:30.