• NO SCHOOL Nov 21-23

• P/T Conferences Nov 15

• Picture Retakes Nov 8

Remembering Stan Lee

Remembering Stan Lee

Stan Lee. Photographed by wired.com

Stan Lee. Photographed by wired.com

Stan Lee. Photographed by wired.com

Stan Lee. Photographed by wired.com

Felix Cooper, Editor

Most teens today have seen at least one Marvel superhero movie. Others have indulged in the action-packed, colorful comic book stories, whose characters are almost universally loved. It’s no secret that superheroes are the stuff of our generation’s dreams.

On November 12, the world said a solemn ‘Goodbye’ to the man who pioneered the superhero way into our culture. Stan Lee, Marvel Universe co-creator, chairman and World War II veteran passed away from pneumonia-related complications that Monday afternoon, according to americanprofile.com.  Since then, social media sites everywhere have heaped on well wishes for the family, all promising that Lee would be remembered in history by the youth of today. The actors from Marvel’s movies also gave their thanks to Lee. Lee was 95 years old.

Lee was a writer from the beginning. As a teen, Stanley Lieber (his given name) found jobs to suit his skills: Obituary writing, creating newspaper cartoons, and during his time in the military, creating manuals, training films and wartime cartoons. After considerable time doing grunt work, according to Thoughtco.com, Lee was hired as an editor at ‘Timely’ comics. It was in an issue of ‘Captain America’ that Lee first assisted with a comic and introduced his pen name: Stan Lee. With Lee on board the ‘Timely’ would undergo two more name changes, finally sticking with Marvel Comics.

His most famous character ‘Spider-Man’ had similarly humble beginnings. Purportedly, Lee was inspired by a spider he saw climbing a doorway in his office. In need of a new hero at the time, according to kansascity.com, Lee took the insectoid superhero idea and rolled with him. Combined with Lee’s desire to create a younger hero that his mostly teenaged audience would connect with, Peter Parker was born. “The Amazing Spider-Mancomics rapidly overtook “The X-Men as the bestselling title.

Lee would later use his platform to address more contemporary issues, such as the Vietnam War and various civil rights issues. The years following would see Lee become the totem and public face of Marvel Comics.

Undeniably, Lee’s characters served to promote a number of ideas–not just current events. Lee put his message in each superheroes’ backstory. Whether you have the brains like Tony Stark, the loving community of the Black Panther, the gift of strength like The Hulk, or power like Doctor Strange, we all have a story to be shared: Stories at our highest and lowest, our hour of need, and our times of triumph. Lee spoke to the need we all have to be recognized and accepted by our peers.

This is particularly important for the youth today. As more and more teens feel cast out by peers today, the stories of superheros overcoming the odds could be just the inspiration they need.

One notable fan of Lee’s work is junior Tanner Williams.  Rambler readers may recognize his caricatures of staff members. Williams, who is an aspiring comic book author/artist, looked up to Lee and his work.

“Stan Lee had a major impact on my life,” said Williams. “Whenever I needed inspiration and guidance, I looked to his work.”

Williams’ sentiment is one that many today might share. Through his fans and followers, Lee’s work will survive. His push for acceptance and self-love in all people was a responsibility he upheld till the end. That responsibility now falls to us, the generation most entranced in the universes he crafted. In this way, believe it or not, Lee has willed each of us our own power. Only we have the power to change the world we live in. Only we have the unique ability to improve our struggling society through our actions and words.

All around the world, tributes, stories, videos and quotes are still being shared. As his fans know, this new development in Marvel’s history is not a roadblock, but a choice–an optimistic “Where do we go from here?”

As Stan Lee would say, ‘Excelsior: Onward and upward!’

“ Virtually every kid is exposed to giants and ogres and talking wolves, and so forth. And magic. And I think you never outgrow your love for those imaginative, fanciful, farfetched, fantastic characters and situations.”

• Stan Lee.

About the Writer
Felix Cooper, Contributor

Felix Cooper ♩Sophomore ♩ First year on staff

I am a musician and writer; father of lizards and dogs; and an actor.  

My future plans are...