• NO SCHOOL Nov 21-23

• P/T Conferences Nov 15

• Picture Retakes Nov 8

Junior Starts ‘Be Kind’ Movement

Kendall+Bardsley+wants+to+make+a+difference+and+promote+good+mental+health.+She+is+selling+t-shirts+to+support+suicide+prevention.+

Junior Starts ‘Be Kind’ Movement

Kendall Bardsley wants to make a difference and promote good mental health. She is selling t-shirts to support suicide prevention.

Lillian Becker, Feature Editor

Junior Kendall Bardsley has joined with Key Club to start a suicide prevention awareness organization called “Be Kind”.

“My idea first came to me about two months ago during a football game while I was standing in the student body,” said Bardsley.

The ‘Be Kind’ movement originally started when the superintendent of Ralston High School’s son committed suicide. Bardsley is friends with students who go to Ralston and she was inspired to make a difference in her own community.

Bardsley is selling t-shirts for $10 and sweatshirts for $20 in the colors of light pink, light blue and black. The clothing items will say “Be Kind Glenwood” and $4 from each clothing product purchased is going back to Boys Town. Boys Town National Hotline receives hundred of calls each year and stops hundreds of suicides by talking to the people who call them.

Going through middle school and high school, Bardsley has had personal experience with her friends harming themselves and even transferring schools due to bullying.

“Students love to make fun of other students for their race, weight, or other choices they have personally made in their life,” said Bardsley. “I personally have been called names, excluded from groups, and people have posted negative things about me online.”

Glenwood schools have made an attempt to try and stop these situations with meetings and student surveys, but they do not always catch all the bullying that can go on in high school.

“At the time, I didn’t know what specifically I wanted to do but I knew that I wanted to try and make a difference for our community,” said Bardsley. “I reached out to Mr. Hutchinson, Mr. Nickerson and Mr. Bissen with an idea of making some kind of clothing product to promote being kind with the hope to have proceeds go to a suicide prevention organization.”

Bardsley had multiple meetings with the administration at the high school to discuss the design, colors, clothing products, lettering and every little detail along the way.

“I wanted feedback from the students and even teachers who could potentially buy these, so Spanish instructor Mrs. Boldra was very kind to let me take the time to present my idea to my class and see what design they would like to buy.”

The next step after all the designs were complete was to find a club in the high school to launch her finished project so Bardsley could get the word out to all students.

“I can’t thank Key Club enough for welcoming my idea with open arms and taking Suicide Prevention Awareness on as one of their service projects this year,” said Bardsley.

“This project has been such an amazing opportunity to help make a bigger difference with my community,” said Bardsley. “I want kids in our high school and in our community to be the generation that helps make suicide prevention more of an awareness and it all start with ‘Being Kind’.

About the Writer
Lillian Becker, Features Editor

My name is Lillian Becker.
I am a junior at GCHS.
This is my second year on staff.
I love to cheer, play soccer, and play piano.
I plan to go to Iowa...