• NO SCHOOL Nov 21-23

• P/T Conferences Nov 15

• Picture Retakes Nov 8

Blood Drive Committee Urges GCHS to Donate

Red Cross takes blood donations from the students of GCHS to save lives.

Teresa Hutchinson, Contributor

The Glenwood High School blood drive committee invites both students and teachers to participate in the blood drive to save lives across the country. The next occurring blood drive is Thursday, November 15.

High school blood drives are scheduled for November, January, March and July. Instructor Jennifer Lewis, the blood drive faculty advisor, insisted that the blood drives should occur between the sports seasons so that players can donate and not have a game within the same week.

To donate, students must be sixteen or older. If they are under eighteen, a parent’s consent is needed, however if they are over eighteen all they need is some form of I.D. Donors will have their blood pressure, temperature and iron checked after they finish a questionnaire on different information regarding new diseases donors need to be aware of and traveling they have done and medicines they may take. This information is used to determine if their blood is healthy enough to be used for other people.

The drive will only take one unit of blood per person which will then be split into red cells, plasma, and platelets. With this system, the blood donated by one person can assist three other people in need.
8 years ago, on average, the committee would collect around 90 units per drive, however in the past few years, the blood drive would only collect around 60-70 units.

On the other hand, 5-15 people are turned away on average. The majority of the people turned away consist of girls with low iron levels. According to womenshealth.gov, girls are more likely to have low iron level than guys. Iron deficiency is only 2 percent in adult men, and anywhere from 9 to 20 percent in women.

Senior representative Abi Schultz believes that the blood drives not only saves lives, but also helps the students at Glenwood High School.

“I believe the blood drives help people realize there are things bigger than our school,” said Schultz. “More important things that could determine life and death that we could help with.”

The whole process takes about an hour; however, there is a Red Cross app that will speed up the wait. The app enables donors to answer all the questions before they have their blood drawn, then all the representatives have to do is scan the barcode it sends. Simply download the app or go to the Red Cross website.

When volunteers first donate, they will receive a donor card in the mail that will have their blood type on it along with their name and a barcode with all of their information on it. They will also receive a letter informing them of where their blood has helped someone.

The blood is usually donated within the Midwest; however, it is often donated to where there is a large need for it, usually in areas that have experienced a catastrophe of any kind.

“The need for blood is greater these days, and if we, as a school, can get more teenagers to donate while they are young, they are more likely to be donors later on,” said Lewis.

The blood drive committee wants the students and administration to know that there are plenty of people who will need blood. To help, all that people need to do is donate their blood and a small amount of time.

About the Writer
Teresa Hutchinson, Contributor

My name is Teresa Hutchinson and I'm a sophomore. This is my first year on the newspaper. I enjoy reading, sleeping, and Netflix & Chill....