Final Statements from The Rambler Staff

The+2017-18+Newspaper+Staff+
The 2017-18 Newspaper Staff

The 2017-18 Newspaper Staff

The 2017-18 Newspaper Staff

All Staff

As the 17-18 school year comes to an end it is time for The Rambler to be put to bed for the summer. The Rambler staff has written some last words as a goodbye to all of our dedicated readers.

Allie Hundt

High school journalism has been a great learning experience for me. I was always interested in writing for a publication, and I am glad I joined this staff. To anyone considering becoming a part of newspaper, I would definitely recommend it. It has helped me become a better writer, it has helped me mingle with people I haven’t spoken to before and it has helped me become more involved. The stories I’ve gotten to cover at this school were mostly exciting, so thank you to everyone who has been featured. I will miss this staff and The Rambler, but I am happy to end this chapter of my high school career. I’d like to thank my staff and Mrs. Hundt for trying to keep me on task and for entertaining me daily. You guys are very talented, and you will all do great things. Thanks for an amazing three years.

Nick Stavas

This year’s online newspaper opened up an abundance of new possibilities for The Rambler. Timely stories, updated information and a more entertaining platform allowed us to not only gain readership, but to report news in a more journalistic fashion than before. Personally, covering sports in a timely manner throughout the 2017-18 school year was by far the best thing that the online Rambler brought to the table. Being able to thoroughly report games within days of the final whistle was something I never had the opportunity to do with print copy. This made it all the more enjoyable to follow a team and publish stories throughout the season. In particular, the football team’s playoff season and the boys’ basketball team’s magical state championship run stand out to me as the most enjoyable storylines I had the privilege of covering. I want to thank every coach and player whom I constantly bothered for interviews for taking the time to indulge me and allowing me to bring a personal angle to readers that I like to think cannot be found anywhere else. Thank you for bringing myself and the readers along for the exhilarating ride. I hope that next year we can improve our journalistic skills as a staff and continue to bring the community balanced news stories with unique angles from inside the walls of our school.

Parson Covington

Being on the Rambler staff has provided me with a unique opportunity to cover sports and other newsworthy happenings in the town of Glenwood. It allowed me to be more up-to-date with what is going on around me. Out of all the stories I wrote, writing feature stories on athletes had to be my favorite. Being able to showcase the courage and dedication both in and out of a person’s particular feels good to cover. It was my first year on staff and I am very glad I joined. I encourage all others considering newspaper to join the staff.

Isabella Milone

When I first joined the Rambler, I was the shyest person you could ever meet. I was too scared to have the editors edit my articles, and I was too nervous to do in-person interviews. I begged Mrs. Hundt to let me do my interviews over email. Instead, she threw me to the wolves. Over this year, my personality has completely changed as did my writing style. Comparing my first article to my last shows great growth in my writing style, and I am now able to easily conduct in-person interviews. Newspaper has helped me improve my writing style as well as my communication skills. I would recommend this class to anyone who wants to improve their writing and communication skills in a fun, learning environment.

Lillian Becker

Newspaper has been a new experience for me that I have really enjoyed. I came into newspaper unsure of what it was about and how to write a quick timley story.  Throughout the year, I feel that I have grown as a writer and feel more prepared for papers that I have to write later on. Newspaper is a great class to put on a college resume, especially since our articles get published in the city paper. I learned how to properly use quotations in this class as well. This class teaches students to be responsible and use deadlines to complete school work. This class is also enjoyable and the staff creates a great fun atmosphere to be in. I would recommend taking newspaper to anyone interested in writing and pursuing a career in journalism.

Ryan Schnurr

This year was my first year on the Rambler; it was also the first year of the school’s newspaper being online allowing us to be more timely than ever before. Over the school year, I had the opportunity to photograph multiple sporting events and write stories that I think made an impact. From finding the controversial line on the Creston KKK incident, to detailing the rise of Glenwood Athletics through football Coach Cory Faust and Basketball Coach Curt Schulte, I believe I helped the Rambler cover subjects that are more than just what is expected from a high school newspaper. Next year, I will not be on the staff; however, I do encourage anyone with interest in journalism and writing to take the class and make something out of it. I expect to see The Rambler continue to grow into itself. I hope its reporters fearlessly make their stances known but also provide great balanced coverage for the Glenwood Community.

Gregory Topete

When I first joined newspaper, I thought i would just be taking photos. However,  I quickly learned that wasn’t the case and that I’d have to actually write. At first I didn’t enjoy it, but I quickly realized I was getting more confident with my writing. While I’m still not where I want to be with my writing, I believe it has gotten better. Newspaper let me put my opinion out there about the smallest things like school lunches and cliche valentines day presents. It’s been a fun year but it’s time to close up shop until next year.

Gable Thompson

As the school year comes to a close, I must resign my journalism cap and rest for the summer. When I joined The Rambler, I did so for one reason, because Mrs. Hundt told me that I should during a mock trial practice. When I heard about it, I thought it would be an excuse to goof off with Henry Gray. Then I found out he wasn’t going to join.
Overall, I believe The Rambler has done some good for me. Newspaper was probably the only class I had that made me feel like I was actually contributing to something rather than doing what felt like meaningless busy work. During my first year, I have covered numerous subjects around Glenwood including The Dance Team, Classroom Environments, D&D Club, and Evironthon, which has really allowed me to learn more about these groups.
Of all the stories I have published, I would have to say movie reviews are my favorite to write. Being able to give my opinions on popular films has really given me better appreciation and understanding of movies. I look forward to doing more of these next year.
To any of my dedicated readers, don’t worry I’ll be back in August to entertain you and inform you on news around Glenwood High School.

Zander Carda

This is my second year on The Rambler staff and I have learned so much from last year. I feel like my writing and editing skills have improved tremendously. This year I have just been doing informational pieces and writing sports stories. I loved doing “Top 10’s” because it gives me a chance to express my opinions about all sorts of topics. Honestly joining The Rambler has been the best decision I have ever made because the family atmosphere is amazing and everyone is so nice and caring. This year has been amazing, but now it’s time to put The Rambler to rest for the summer. I would definitely recommend joining!