Ram Track Qualifies 10 Events for State Meet

Junior+Zach+Vondra+qualified+for+the+state+meet+in+the+long+jump+after+placing+second+at+districts.+

Junior Zach Vondra qualified for the state meet in the long jump after placing second at districts.

Photo courtesy of Kristi Lee

Photo courtesy of Kristi Lee

Photo courtesy of Kristi Lee

Ryan Schnurr, Contributor

The boys track team finished third place last Monday, and watched as their bitter rivals the Atlantic Trojans were crowned conference champions. The team knew they had another gear left, the only question remaining: was two days enough to reach it? Thursday night the Rams marched into Atlantic and answered that question; stealing the show and a district crown from the hosting Trojans, scoring 160 points to edge out their 151, sending ten events to state.

Junior Zach Vondra started off the night with a jump of 19 feet and 10 inches to finish second and qualify for the state.

Glenwoods sprint medley, including seniors Joey Saddler, Kohen Watson, and juniors, Vondra and Jon Lee edged out Atlantic, posting a time of 1:34.92: a new class 3A state leading time.

“We thought we ran pretty well in the conference meet, but we still knew there were some events could have run better in,” said Vondra. “Although getting third against good teams like Atlantic and Lewis Central was okay, it definitely gave us a lot of motivation for this meet and we knew we could get Atlantic at districts.”

Senior Nate Kennedy then won the 100 meter dash with a time of 11.22, slighting Harlan’s Nick foss who ran an 11.33

Kennedy and fellow senior Kohen Watson swept the 400 meter dash qualifying spots, finishing first and second, with times of 50.57 and 51.63 respectively. Kennedy’s night was not over, as he continued his masterful performance grabbing gold and punching another ticket to state in the 200 meter posting a time of 21.67.

As the sun began to set, the Rams continued their night of redemption with the team of senior Joey Saddler, Lee, junior Jack Hughes, and Vondra placing second and punching their ticket to state in the 4×100 meter relay.

Finally, with the stadium lights on and the air cooling and one last chip on their shoulder to rectify, the Rams warmed up for the final event of the night, the 4×400 meter relay. After finishing third in the event at the Hawkeye Ten Conference Meet behind Atlantic and Harlan earlier in the week, Glenwood with a team of Juniors Christian Stanislav, Parson Covington, and once again, Watson and Kennedy got the final punch of the season in besting the Trojans and Cyclones and running a time of 3:24, good enough for third in the class 3A.

Two more events, sophomore Brady Weddum in the 200 meter dash, and the 4×200 meter relay qualified based on time for being top eight in the state after the automatic qualifiers.

“It was fun winning district as a team, and I am excited a lot of our guys qualified,” said Vondra.