Administration Makes Changes to Seminar Schedule

Seminar in math Instructor Taylor Wharton's room.

Photo by Robin Hundt

Photo by Robin Hundt

Photo by Robin Hundt

Isabella Milone, Contributor

In response to many students skipping seminar and the need to give juniors and seniors time for reteach and reassess, GCHS has made the decision to move seminar to the morning next year.

“By moving seminar to the morning, it provides access to all of our students, not just our freshman and sophomores. Moving it to the morning also eliminates the number of students trying to skip out on seminar,” said Principal Richard Hutchinson.

Many teachers believe that having seminar earlier in the day will benefit students more than if seminar continues to be in the afternoon.  

“I think having seminar in the morning will make it more likely for students to want to come in to reteach and reassess,” said Instructor Joe Luther. Seminar at the end of the day makes it hard to stay in ‘school mode’ and actually work; seminar in the morning will most certainly be more productive and less of a free for all.”

“We had a morning seminar a few years ago and it was very advantageous for those classes that were predominately upperclassmen. We were able to get students to our rooms more frequently to make up tests, assignments, etc,” said an instructor who prefers to remain anonymous.

Most students interviewed are against the change; however, a few see the advantages.

“I think it will be a good change because it gives kids a little time in the morning to relax and wake up more,” said freshman Jackson Batten. “I think seminar should be moved to the morning because it helps kids who don’t have time to work on homework, and the kids who are caught up can relax and get ready for the day.”

Though there are benefits, many student-athletes are not happy with the change, as it has the potential for them miss class at the end of the day for games, meets or matches.

“I am very upset about changing seminar to the beginning of the day instead of the end of the day. Seminar allows athletes to miss less critical learning time,” said junior Allee Rounds. “It concerns me because, as a swimmer who needs to be in Lewis Central by 3:30, making it to practice on time will become an issue. With seminar at the end of the day, it is easy for us to go to practice and miss seminar without missing a bunch of class time. It is upsetting to me because this new change is making swimming not an option for Glenwood students.”   

Though it is a disadvantage to student-athletes to move seminar to the morning, teachers feel that taking on sports is a commitment that student-athletes will have to keep up with.  

“The change for the athletes is a disadvantage, but I think we have to do our best to think about what is in the best interest for all students. The decision to be a student athlete requires these students to be a little more responsible and organized when it comes to school work, missed class, etc,” said Luther.

Student athletes will need to stay on top of their course work in classes they miss in the afternoon.

“It’s going to be tough for students who have to leave for activities throughout the year. It will be imperative that they learn quickly how to organize their time, stay in contact with their afternoon teachers, and keep up with their classwork,” said an anonymous instructor.

Principal Hutchinson believes that school should come before athletics.

“One thing we have to understand is that Glenwood High School is an academic institution first, and so we have to do what is academically best for our students,” said Hutchinson. “Seminar was designed to give access to all students, freshman through seniors, access to reteach and reassess. Moving seminar to the morning will greatly benefit them.”