Girls’ Track Pummels H-10 South Competition, Looks to Build on Early Success

Senior+sprinter+Devon+Bomer+looks+to+lead+a+talented+Lady+Ram+Track+team.+

Senior sprinter Devon Bomer looks to lead a talented Lady Ram Track team.

Photo Courtesy of Glenwood Yearbook

Photo Courtesy of Glenwood Yearbook

Photo Courtesy of Glenwood Yearbook

Ryan Schnurr, Contributor

The spring sports season is here, and the girls track team is looking to make a statement. The team finished a disappointing fifth place at Conference last spring, but qualified two individuals and three relays for the state meet.

At the Hawkeye 10 southern division meet prior to spring break, Glenwood dominated the competition scoring 201 points, Shenandoah finished second, scoring 142, followed by Creston, Red Oak, and Clarenda, scoring 111, 64, and 47 respectively.

The team finished atop in the 4×100 , 4×200, and 4×800 meter relays along with another gold in the shuttle hurdle relay.

Senior Katelyn Malcom anchored both the 4×200 and the 4×800, and she contributed to a second place finish in the 4×400 meter relay.

“Our seniors have done a great job this year so far and their leadership will continue to be very important to our success,” said Head Coach Cory Faust. “Those seniors are Savanna Mixan, Kate Kaufman, Arianna Springer, Grace Presley, Maddie Liddell, Katelyn Malcom, Emily Todd, Devon Bomer, and Alyssa Dubas.”

Freshman Emma Hughes finished well before the pack winning both the 1500 and 3000 meter runs by a significant margin.  Another freshman, Elle Scarborough won the 100 meter dash and came in second in discus. Sophomore Audrey Arnold took the 100 meter hurdle as well, rounding out an outstanding performance for the team’s underclassmen.

This year, the coaching staff of Faust, and Jeff Janssen added first year teacher Quin Groff to their ranks.

“Coach Groff does a great job and has been a huge help to the team. Especially with Coach Janssen being busy with boys basketball,” said Faust. “It’s nice to have another passionate coach on staff.”

The team as a whole looks to blend its young talent with established roles and leadership, to build on last year.

“I think we can win the Hawkeye 10 and a district championship.” said Faust. “But our ultimate goal is just to finish on empty and be all we can be for the team. If we strive to reach our potential on a daily basis, the season will be a success.”

About the Writer
Ryan Schnurr, Contributor

Junior;

Job Titles: Photography Editor, Reporter;

First year on staff