Boys’ Tennis Brings Experienced Squad into Upcoming Season

Senior+Adam+Konfrst+aims+for+a+state+title+in+his+final+season+after+placing+third+at+state+last+year.+
Senior Adam Konfrst aims for a state title in his final season after placing third at state last year.

Photo by Ed Harding

Photo by Ed Harding

Nick Stavas, Managing Editor

The boys’ tennis team is preparing for a new season on the court. The Rams return four starters from a team that finished the 2017 regular season 10-0. Those returners include seniors Adam Konfrst, Kris Mintle and Josh Ruth, as well as junior Carter Benson. Two seasons ago, Glenwood made a deep run in the tournament, qualifying for the “Final Four” at State. After a disappointing finish to last year, Head Coach Kevin Tucker is confident his players can redeem themselves.

“We have the potential to be great, but now the boys need to go out and prove it to themselves,” Tucker said. “As always I have confidence in my players.”

New to the lineup this season will be foreign exchange student Joel Ibanez from Bolivia. Ibanez will play in Glenwood’s top spot, followed by Konfrst. Mintle, Ruth, Benson and Nick Bahr round out the top six for the Rams.

Tucker thinks that depth to his lineup is key to his team’s success.

“In order to be one of the best in the western side of the state a team needs to get wins 1-6 not just at the top of the ladder. If we can get consistent wins with our fourth, fifth and sixth, players we will be tough,” Tucker said.

Following a third place individual finish last year, Konfrst is hungry to get back to the State tournament and claims he is on a mission in his senior campaign.

“I approach [this season] very excited, but it’s a business trip,” Konfrst said.

The Rams enter the season as arguable favorites in the Hawkeye 10. Other contenders include Atlantic and Kuemper, both of which finished ahead of the Rams a year ago.

“Atlantic and Carroll Kuemper should be the top competition on paper,” said Tucker. “But as always, until the teams lineup and play each other, it can be hard to tell. I do think the Hawkeye Ten is the deepest it has been in my five year stretch as a coach, so we will see.”

Konfrst said, “We have a competitive conference, so it’s going to be key to take every opponent seriously.”

The Rams will be in action Thursday night in their first meet against

About the Writer
Nick Stavas, Co-Editor in Chief
Junior; Job Titles: Managing Editor, Sports Editor, Reporter; Second year on staff