Rams Complete Improbable Comeback, Advance to State Semifinals

Nick Stavas, Managing Editor

Spirits were low at halftime of Glenwood’s Class 3A State Quarterfinal matchup against Norwalk Tuesday afternoon. Trailing the fifth-seeded Warriors by 18 points, the senior-led Rams knew they had to buckle down and take control of a game, and a season, that was quickly slipping away. What followed was a magical comeback that will be talked about in Glenwood Basketball lore for years to come. The Rams stormed back, outscoring Norwalk 21-7 in the third quarter, and eventually pulling away late in the game to nab a 67-58 victory.

“Some people were down [at halftime], for sure,” senior forward Andrew Blum told the Daily Nonpareil. “We came out with a lot of heart, that’s the main thing.”

After an uncharacteristic start that allowed Norwalk to take a 20-point lead in the second quarter, a few big third-quarter buckets from freshman forward Ryan Blum ignited a fire under the Rams and their faithful crowd. Glenwood began to find their rhythm, as they cut the Warriors’ lead down to just four points headed into the fourth.

“Our kids play off a lot of emotion,’’ Glenwood Head Coach Curt Schulte said to the Daily Nonpareil. “They play off our crowd. They play off our bench, the energy. Once they got the mojo going, they felt pretty good.”

The emotion was running high headed into the fourth quarter. A three-point-play from sophomore guard Zach Carr tied the game at 49 apiece. The Rams took a 52-51 lead on the ensuing possession, and would never trail again.

After Norwalk pushed to tie the game at 56 with 2:56 left in the game, junior forward Christian Stanislav took it to the rack for an and-one and sunk the free throw giving Glenwood a 59-56 lead with just 2:15 remaining. The Rams were perfect from the free throw line down the stretch to complete the seemingly impossible comeback.

The running theme through all post-game interviews was the amount of energy gained from the electric Glenwood crowd.

“We had our crowd with us, our bench with us,” Stanislav told the Daily Nonpareil. “We had everybody on our side.’’

It was a well-rounded scoring effort from the Rams, as Ryan Blum led with 17 points, followed by brother Andrew with 13. Mohr and Carr added 11, while Stanislav tallied eight.

This was Glenwood’s first win at the state tournament in 66 years.

“It feels great,” Mohr told KMA Sports. “We had a great crowd up there, and to make some history always feels great.”

The Rams will take on top-seeded Cedar Rapids-Xavier in the state semifinals Thursday at 2:00 PM.

About the Writer
Nick Stavas, Co-Editor in Chief
Junior; Job Titles: Managing Editor, Sports Editor, Reporter; Second year on staff