• GCHS Yearbooks still available through the end of the school year - purchase by check only

• Graduation May 20 @ 2 pm

• May 2, 9, 16, 23 - 2 Hr Early Out

• Interested in an Ad? Email advisor Robin Hundt at [email protected]!

Jazz Choir Sings Their Way to a Division 1 Rating

Lillian Becker, Contributor

Varsity jazz choir received a Division 1 rating at the Iowa High School Music Association State Jazz Choir Festival, qualifying them for the Iowa Vocal Jazz Competition. Jazz choir includes a select group of students who perform certain styles of music that contrast with the traditional songs sung in concert choir. The jazz choir program was split into two choirs this year. The varsity jazz choir is called Rhapsody in Gold and the JV choir is called Sharp Street Singers. JV jazz choir received a Division 2 rating.

Senior Jessica Williams has been in varsity jazz choir for two years and enjoys singing.

“I personally love all the people I get to sing with and how we all are so passionate about getting better and being the best group possible,” said Williams.

The varsity jazz choir practices three times a week, two practices at 7 a.m. and one practice in the afternoon.

Senior Ruby Crow is also a member of varsity jazz choir and loves the style of music she gets to sing.

“I just think it is so cool. You get to make it your own, and I like that because I love trying different things and exploring my horizons in music,” said Crow.

Rhapsody performed recently at Western Iowa Tech in Sioux City. Senior Josie Meads received Outstanding Soloist for Class 3A at this competition.

Choir director Adam Orban is proud of both of his jazz choirs and their recent performances.

“Rhapsody was one of eight 3A schools selected via video submission from Iowa to perform at the Iowa Vocal Jazz Championships which will be held March 27 in Des Moines,” said Orban. “I can’t wait to see what the jazz choir can do.”