• GCHS Yearbooks still available through the end of the school year - purchase by check only

• Graduation May 20 @ 2 pm

• May 2, 9, 16, 23 - 2 Hr Early Out

• Interested in an Ad? Email advisor Robin Hundt at [email protected]!

Rams Prepare for State Quarterfinal Showdown with Norwalk

Nick Stavas, Managing Editor

The boys’ basketball team is gearing up for a trip to Des Moines to compete in the Class 3A State Basketball Tournament. The Rams drew the fourth seed in the tournament, the highest in school history. Glenwood (22-2) will take on fifth-seeded Norwalk (22-2) in the quarterfinal round Tuesday.

Norwalk tore through its regular season schedule, with one of its only two losses coming to third seed Oskaloosa (21-3). Much like the Rams, the Warriors like to run the court and score, as they average the most total points per game in Class 3A with 78, while Glenwood is in close second with 74.

Rams head coach Curt Schulte has faith in his team’s ability to run with the Warriors, but knows they will need to be at the top of their game.

“Norwalk’s a very good team, so we’re going to need to play really good, solid defense,” Schulte said. “They’re quick, they’re athletic and they’ve got some tremendous shooters, so we really gotta go ahead and attack them on that end of the floor.”

The Warriors are led by senior guard Luke Vaske, who averages 19.6 points per game and has racked up over 200 assists on the season. Vaske’s partner in crime in the Norwalk backcourt is sophomore Bowen Born, the son of former Iowa State Cyclone and current Charlotte Hornets talent scout Mike Born. Born averages over 18 points per game and shoots 42% from three point land.

However, good guard play is right up Glenwood’s alley, as they normally run a small ball set with four guards on the floor. The Rams are led in scoring by junior wing Christian Stanislav, who averages just under 16 points per game on the year. Senior point guard Nate Mohr isn’t far behind, as he posts a solid 14 points per game, and senior forward Andrew Blum rounds out the top of Glenwood’s scoring list with 12.8 points per game.

Mohr is coming off a 27-point performance in the substate victory over Harlan, where he knocked down four three-pointers and dished out five assists. He is confident with the way his team has played lately, but mentioned that they have areas in which they can improve.

We just have control the pace because there is not many teams that play the speed we do, but we have to make sure we are rebounding every possession because we did not do that well against Harlan,” said Mohr.

Mohr isn’t wrong, as the Rams struggled on the glass, providing many second chance opportunities to the Cyclones.

One advantage Glenwood may try to exploit in the match up Tuesday is Norwalk’s statistically weak defense. While the Rams rank in the top-10 in least points allowed in Class 3A, the Warriors have allowed the second most points in the state this season.

However, Schulte has been preaching defense all season long, and this time it’s no different.

“[Norwalk’s] offense is really good, so we’ll need to slow them down. We can’t give up numbers, we gotta rebound the basketball, all those little things. If we can do that, the points will come, and I really like our shot in the opening round.”

No. 4 Glenwood vs. No. 5 Norwalk will tip off at 1:00 P.M. Tuesday afternoon at Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines.