• NO SCHOOL Nov 21-23

• P/T Conferences Nov 15

• Picture Retakes Nov 8

Short Film “LIvES” Earns All-State Honors

Juniors Allee Rounds, Cheyenne Fisher, Jacob Severn and Megan McFarlin receive All-State Honors for their short film

Juniors Allee Rounds, Cheyenne Fisher, Jacob Severn and Megan McFarlin receive All-State Honors for their short film "LIvES."

Photo courtesy of Cheyenne Fisher

Photo courtesy of Cheyenne Fisher

Photo courtesy of Cheyenne Fisher

Isabella Milone, Contributor

Seven speech teams advanced to the State Speech Competition on Saturday February 3. From that competition, one team advanced to the All-State Festival with its short film “LIvES,” on Saturday February 17 in Ames, Iowa. That team included juniors Allee Rounds, Jacob Severn, Cheyenne Fisher and Megan McFarlin.

According to Speech Coach Jennifer Horner, “LIvES” was judged on the following categories: storyline, acting and performance, technical and general.

“The title explains what the the film is about: the “lies” that we live behind with our friends, the face we put on to the world that does not often reveal the truth about our “real” lives and our inner pain and turmoil,” said Horner.

One challenging element of their short film is that there was no dialogue between characters.

“Our characters had to be performed in a relatable way due to the lack of dialogue,” said junior Cheyenne Fisher.

Without dialogue, the short film team had to include music that was meaningful and that fit the theme they portrayed.

“They [the judges] liked the music and thought it was very appropriate to the general feel of the film,” said Horner.

“LIvES” depicts four friends who are each dealing with different emotions and how they keep it hidden from the others.

“The emotion of the film is pretty much what we were going for. We really wanted to show what these characters were struggling with within their daily lives and show that these kind of things do happen in real life and it’s not something you should ignore,” said junior Megan McFarlin.

About the Writer
Isabella Milone, Contributor

My name is Isabella Milone, and I am a junior at GCHS. This is my second year on the newspaper staff. I am a competitive swimmer and pianist. I plan to...

1 Comment

One Response to “Short Film “LIvES” Earns All-State Honors”

1. Mrs. Barrett on March 16th, 2018 7:35 am

Well written article about a well done film. I’ve seen the film and it was powerful and poignant.

• News

School Introduces New Dispensers

• Short Film “LIvES” Earns All-State Honors

News

Blood Drive Committee Urges GCHS to Donate

• News

Student Council Members Attend Leadership Summit

News

News

Printers Moved to Library

• News

Senior Graduation Committee Making Decisions

News

Chromebook Damage on the Decline

News

Ramily Matters Welcomes High School Volunteers

News

GCSF Awards Grants to Teachers

• News

All Seniors are now CPR Certified