• GCHS Yearbooks still available through the end of the school year - purchase by check only

• Graduation May 20 @ 2 pm

• May 2, 9, 16, 23 - 2 Hr Early Out

• Interested in an Ad? Email advisor Robin Hundt at [email protected]org!

Fourth-Ranked Rams Tack on Four More Wins, One Loss

With+a+15-2+record%2C+Class+3A+No.+4+Glenwood+has+already+clinched+a+share+of+the+Hawkeye+Ten+title%2C+and+can+be+crowned+outright+champions+with+one+more+conference+win.+
With a 15-2 record, Class 3A No. 4 Glenwood has already clinched a share of the Hawkeye Ten title, and can be crowned outright champions with one more conference win.

Photo by Ryan Schnurr

Photo by Ryan Schnurr

Parson Covington, Contributor

The boys basketball team went 4-1 in recent weeks, with their only loss being to Nebraska’s second ranked team in Class B, Skutt Catholic.

Most recently, January 30, the Rams hosted the Creston Panthers. Glenwood started hot and continued from there, winning the game 87-68. Junior Christian Stanislav’s smooth shooting led him to a 23 point performance, while senior Andrew Blum closely followed with 21 points and 10 rebounds after a strong second half performance. Creston’s Kylan Smallwood scored a game high 33, but could not do enough to defeat the Rams on their home court.

Stanislav was impressed with the all around team performance.

“We knew we had to bounce back strong after a tough loss at Skutt and we played with a lot of energy early in the game,” said Stanislav. “We can’t let a loss sidetrack us from what we want to accomplish late in the season, so we put it behind us and took the vengeance out on Creston.”

The victory against Creston came after the heartbreaking loss to Nebraska’s Skutt Catholic.

After falling in double overtime at home to Skutt last year, Ram fans anticipated another good game this year, and that is what they received.

The Rams led at halftime, in a game that was a nail-biter going into the fourth quarter, but Skutt pulled away late, winning the anticipated matchup 67-58. Senior guard Nate Mohr was the leading scorer in the game with 22 points. Blum added 14 points and 8 rebounds, while Stanislav chipped in 11 points.

Despite the loss, Stanislav noted that the team was able to walk away with a lesson.

“It was a good learning experience for us in order to play as a team,” said Stanislav. “We all agreed in certain crucial times of the game we weren’t playing together and I think that was a big reason why we lost.”

Head Coach Curt Schulte also saw positives come out of the loss, saying it refocuses the team.

“Playing a team like Skutt that is now ranked second in the state of Nebraska [Class B] really makes us identify our weaknesses, which are what we try to clean up in practice to get us to become a better team,” said Schulte.

Previously, the Rams faced off against lower ranked opponents in the Hawkeye-Ten and added three easy victories to their record.

The Rams hosted Red Oak and walked away with an easy win, 87-48. Stanislav was the leading scorer putting up 17 points and grabbing seven rebounds. Mohr also impressed, dropping 12 points and dishing out eight assists.

Glenwood also traveled to Shenandoah, where the Rams came out on top with another blowout victory, 75-26, holding the Mustangs to single digits in all four quarters. Stanislav led the way again with 15 points, while senior Nate Kennedy also put up 12, tying his highest scoring mark of the season.

The Rams then defeated the Clarinda Cardinals 79-28. Stanislav impressed once again with 19 points, followed by Andrew Blum and senior Cody Buresh, each with 13. Freshman Ryan Blum topped the rebounding column with seven rebounds.

The 15-2 Rams will now travel to Harlan on Friday night to take on the seventh ranked Cyclones in what should be a thriller.

Stanislav and the rest of the team are ready for the matchup, feeling they’ve grown as a team throughout the season.

“We’ve gained a lot of confidence as the year has progressed and I think we have learned in order to win we need to play as a team,” said Stanislav.

Schulte has seen the team become stronger throughout the season and is also looking forward to the game.

“I think the biggest growth that we’ve seen and really stressed is on the defensive end. We’ve gotten a lot stronger there. We’re playing a lot better team defense,” said Schulte. “They’re all playing well together and working toward the same goal.”

Catch the Rams in action at Harlan at 7:30 on Friday night.