• NO SCHOOL Nov 21-23

• P/T Conferences Nov 15

• Picture Retakes Nov 8

HPV Survivors Share Their Stories

The American Cancer Society is raising awareness about HPV or Human Papillomavirus.

Gable Thompson, Contributor

Although it is not covered by the media often, the Human Papillomavirus is still out there. An estimated 262 Iowans are stricken with some form of cancer from HPV, every year. This is the second in a series of articles about the upcoming Relay for Life.

Each year, the HPV causes approximately 31,500 new cancer cases in the United States. HPV is a sexually transmitted disease that, as of 2017, affected 79 million Americans. The Center of Disease Control says that HPV is the most common STD in the U.S. and can lead to multiple types of cancer including cervical, throat, vaginal and penile cancer.  

To prevent people from getting HPV, the American Cancer Society is raising money and encouraging survivors to share their stories.

“Nearly every case of cervical cancer is caused by HPV,” said Dr. Nathan Boonstra. Boonstra is a Pediatric Doctor in Des Moines, IA. “I don’t think everyone understands how common HPV is and what it can do. It can also cause head, neck or anal cancer. ”  

HPV-related cancers kill more people every year than polio, measles, tetanus and chickenpox combined before vaccines for these diseases were developed,” said   Senior Community Development Manager Suzanne Mages. “The good news is over 80 percent of these cancers can be prevented with the HPV vaccine.  Vaccinating adolescents will provide protection throughout their lives.”

The American Cancer Society encourages HPV survivors to share their stories to provide inspiration for people currently suffering from HPV and raise awareness for it. Recently four survivors came out about their experience and the ACS released a video featuring these survivors’ stories.

To view this video, go to http://bit.ly/iasurvivors.

About the Writer
Gable Thompson, Contributor

My name is Gable "The Atomic Flounder" Thompson. This is my second year writing for the Rambler. I'm 17 years young and I spend most nights working on...