Rams Suffer First Loss, Bounce Back with Three Straight Conference Wins

Senior+forward+Andrew+Blum+has+averaged+over+14+points+per+game+in+the+last+four+contests%2C+including+a+29-point+outburst+in+Glenwood%27s+win+over+Class+3A+No.+9+Harlan.+

Senior forward Andrew Blum has averaged over 14 points per game in the last four contests, including a 29-point outburst in Glenwood's win over Class 3A No. 9 Harlan.

Photo by Ryan Schnurr

Photo by Ryan Schnurr

Photo by Ryan Schnurr

Nick Stavas, Managing Editor

The boys’ basketball team went 2-1 last week, recording their first loss of the season at Atlantic, but then picked up two wins over ranked teams by defeating Class 1A No. 6 Saint Albert and Class 3A No. 9 Harlan.

In addition to Glenwood’s two big conference wins, the Rams also received some help from Lewis Central, who upset Atlantic Friday night to give Glenwood an outright lead in the Hawkeye Ten Standings.

On a strange night in Atlantic that resulted in the Rams receiving five technical fouls in the fourth quarter, Glenwood just simply could not get the ball in the hoop. The Rams shot just 30 percent from the field, including only knocking down 3/26 three pointers. The Trojans, who shot a whopping 22 free throws on the night, were led by senior Austin Alexander, who dropped 19 points and grabbed seven rebounds. Despite a third-quarter push from the Rams, Glenwood’s abundance of fouls and poor shooting ultimately resulted in an 18-point loss to Atlantic.

However, the third-ranked Rams proved why they still remain in the top five in Class 3A, as they followed up their loss with two of their best performances of the season.

Head Coach Curt Schulte was happy with the way his team responded to its first loss.

“We really learned from that game,” said Schulte. “With a loss, sometimes it really refocuses you, rejuvenates you as a team, and I really thought that’s what it did.”

The Rams took on Saint Albert at the Mid-America Center Friday night. Glenwood got out to an early lead and never looked back, keeping the Falcons at arms-length for the majority of the game. Glenwood had four players in double figures on the night. Junior forward Christian Stanislav led the way with 18 points, followed by sophomore Zach Carr with a career-high 16. Senior forward Andrew Blum recorded a solid double-double, dropping 10 points and snagging 13 boards. Senior Blake Von Essen came off the bench and posted a season-high 10 points to round out an impressive display of team basketball.

Glenwood resumed action Saturday night for a home date with Harlan. The Rams came out of the gate hot, scoring 46 points in the first half to Harlan’s 39. Glenwood’s offensive attack stayed aggressive, led by Blum, who had a big third quarter to put the Rams up 11 at the end of three periods.

“My teammates were feeding me the ball in the post in the beginning and getting those easy buckets helps gets your confidence up so when the third quarter rolled around I was feeling pretty good,” Blum said.

The Rams warded off a late effort from the Cyclones to seal an 84-79 victory. Blum emphasized the importance of the win over Harlan.

“Harlan has always been one of the most fun teams to beat for as long as I can remember and them being a top 3A team makes the win that much better,” said Blum.

The dynamic senior duo of Blum and Mohr seemed back to their normal selves Saturday night after a somewhat quiet start to the season. Blum finished with 29 points and five rebounds, while Mohr racked up 23 points, three assists and three steals.

Schulte was impressed with the way his seniors stepped up in an important matchup.

“They showed great leadership, they knew it was a big game and they came ready to go,” said Schulte. “Andrew was feeling it, that’s for sure, and then Nate was knocking down shots all over the place and spreading the ball well, so it was great to see those two have a game like that.”

The Rams dominated Red Oak Tuesday night to add another win to the conference record. Glenwood’s offense was firing on all cylinders, as Stanislav led the charge with 17 points, followed by Mohr with 14 and Carr with 11. The 87-48 victory over the Tigers improved Glenwood’s overall record 12-1 (7-1 in the Hawkeye Ten).

The Rams will resume action Friday, January 19 when they travel to Shenandoah for a conference matchup with the Mustangs.

About the Writer