Boys’ Swimming Has High Goals for 2017-18 Season

Junior+Mason+Parks+has+qualified+for+the+state+meet+two+years+in+a+row+and+looks+to+continue+that+streak+this+season.+

Junior Mason Parks has qualified for the state meet two years in a row and looks to continue that streak this season.

Photo Courtesy of Jeana Bird

Photo Courtesy of Jeana Bird

Photo Courtesy of Jeana Bird

Isabella Milone, Contributor

Boys Swimming officially started Monday October 6 with Glenwood Swimmers seniors Thomas Graham and Devin Geeser, juniors Mason Parks, Nick Stavas, Kamron Alexander, Parker Sell, Jordan Belt, and freshman Dylon Cox. The boys all travel to Council Bluffs after school to practice.

Bruce Schomburg is the head coach of  the Lewis Central boys swim team, which has merged with Glenwood, Treynor, Saint Albert, and Harlan since these schools don’t have enough swimmers to form teams of their own.

Mason Parks has swam ever since he could remember, and has big goals for the season.

I would like to qualify and get top 10 in the 200 freestyle and the 100 freestyle, as well as see the team qualify in the 4×100 relay.”

Parks went to the state competition last year, and was an alternate as a freshman.

Though it is only the beginning of the season, many of the boys already have end-of-the-season goals.

As a team I would like to see us get up there and beat the bigger teams like Waukee and Ankeny,” said Parks.

Alexander said, “I want to approach every meet with a positive attitude and do our best no matter if we win or not.”