Marching Their Way To A Division I Rating

Isabella Milone

Ever since the Glenwood Marching Rams took the field over 20 years ago, they have earned top ratings. The 2017 State Band Competition was no different, as Glenwood received a Division I rating, also known as a superior award. This is the highest rating a band can receive.

The Marching Rams have put in countless hours this season to achieve their Division I rating. Marching season started in the summer with marching camps, and since the 2017 school year started, band students practice every day before school through first hour. This additional practice time allows the marching band to perform at this high level.

Though band students put in plenty of hard work, band instructor David Clark thinks that there are areas that the students can improve on. “We try to get the majority of our students playing the music from memory at a superior level.  This was not achieved this year and our music scores did reflect this,” Clark says.

This year’s band is the largest it has been in the history of the Marching Rams. Clark is proud of this fact. “We spend countless hours before and after school working together to sustain our musicianship,” said Clark. “It takes a lot of good communication on the part of the students and directors to achieve this goal.”